Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 96 14:45:04 CST
     In a previous incarnation, we found that the cardboard had serious
     effects on solderability when it was stored for over 3 months.

Subject: RE: Cardboard boxes
Author:  [log in to unmask] at internet
Date:    7/26/96 1:47 PM

I know of no published articles on the extent of free sulfur in cardboard
manufacturing.

In our product, we are extremely sensitive to free sulfur and the corrosive
effects it has on the silver electrodes of our piezoelectric ceramics.   We
have successfully shipped and stored these ceramic elements in cardboard
boxes for years without problems.  We have done extensive testing of any
product that comes in contact with this ceramic from production processes,
soldering, assembly etc.  We have discovered that free sulfur in cardboard
was the least likely component of contamination.

The bottom line is, when in doubt, test!  The test is accurate and
inexpensive.  Tape a small piece of pure silver foil to the material in
question, and age at 150 F for 48 hours.  Examine the silver foil for signs
of discoloration.  Be carful, as many types of tape have free sulfur.

Darrell Bonzo
EDO Corporation/Acoustic Division