TECHNET Archives

August 2019

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 2019 09:35:56 -0500
Thanks, Dave
Maybe I should just lay out a scenario, and see if anyone has advice:
- we have a board totally enclosed in an aluminum cast housing
- the environment is hot, and we have D2PAKs that get hotter
- we would rather direct heat to the housing, NOT the environment
- we can design the housing to mate with the back of the board through
thermal pads
- We have put a via array in the power pad of the D2PAKs to direct heat
through the board
- the board constantly vibrates, so we can't have a solder drip shorting
through the thermal pad

PRIMARY QUESTION:
How should we treat the vias in the via array to (make a good solder joint)
AND (not drip)?

BACKGROUND:
we ordered TYPE V filled vias, but some holes were open
(I was wondering if they were actually manufactured as TYPE III)

If this was your design, would you:
- be more demanding about the quality of your TYPE V filling operation?
- or, move to TYPE VII, filled and capped?
One single field failure caused by this approach will NOT be a good thing
to happen!