From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
13 Aug 1996 17:40:46 -0500
Look in Coombs, Handbook of Printed Circuits 3 rd edition on page 14.15 at
paragraph 14.4.3  for the chemical reactions.  I think you will find that
the amount of copper is not as important as the state of the copper, if
there is no more cuprous ions to be converted to cupric then the chemistry
you are still adding is there to react. Or if  you are really putting
through the volume you could be overwhelming your cooling system allowing
the temperature to rise and liberating gasses from solution.  In short you
have excess chlorate and excess hydrochloric acid and should anticipate
chlorine gas and hydrogen chloride gas as a minimum as a result.  If the
solution is bright green the correct response is in fact to add copper clad
material.  This converts some of the cupric back to cuprous and that
regenerates knocking down the excess chemistry.