Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 20:54:48 -0400
William,

   I would begin to suspect that the leveling agents in your brightener are
probably either
out of balance and / or contaminated.  You should make up a small sample of
fresh plating solution to run hull cell tests on.  First run the tests
without adding brightner.  You will have burning in the HCD area and a mat
surface thruoghout the rest of the panel.  Under magnification inspect for
nodules.  Then add suspected brightner and run the same tests.
I'd  run twenty minute tests rather than ten minute tests to enhance the
conditions.  If you
find nodules on the hull cell you have found the culprit.  If you don't have
the lab facilities then I would immediatley  run a peroxide/carbon treat on
the bath and begin with a new date code of brightener.  We have had similar
problems in the past summers that I have suspected were caused by summer heat
breaking down the organic components of the brightner.( in transit and/or
warehouse )  You should also work very closley with your chemical supplier.
 If you are using a single component brightening system you may find that
they can still provide you with the leveling agent that is supposed to take
care of these problems. This way you can balance out the leveler without over
brightening your bath.

Good luck,

Chief