TECHNET Archives

May 2007

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 11:07:29 +0300
Sorry, Vladimir, it's an urban myth. Lead pipes are quite safe for
carrying drinking water, after the initial flush-through, because an
ion-exchange mechanism deposits lime on the pipes' insides. The pipes
are effectively calcium hydroxide/carbonate in contact with the water,
not lead. As Werner said, it was lead glaze on ceramics and lead
glassware that caused the damage.

Brian