From:
"Crawford, John A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 96 13:52:00 EST

Following are portions of several notes regarding test probing of solder
paste (start at the bottom and work up). Can anyone provide support for
Bill. Maybe a process change that will reduce the flux collecting dimple in
the vias??
(amplifying info)
According to our test fixture people, we have tried "all that is available"
in "Flux Buster" type probes.  Perhaps I should explain the problem a little
further:

In many cases where dual reflow assembly is used, the design is so dense
nodal access may only be achieved by probing vias.  The preference here is
for vacuum fixtures which require the vias to be filled with solder paste.
 The result of vias plugged with solder from paste is a concave fillet where
the flux residue more or less "pools" and is several times thicker than on a
surface mount pad.  In these cases, we have been unable to find a probe
which can break through and release with out accumulating flux build up.

I assume this is not an uncommon problem as paste manufacturers are now
starting to market products which aleviate this problem.
(my initial response)
. . . the booth next to me was a test fixture company, and I remember
talking about some of their "sharp" probes with them. (We were discussing
the aspects of testing the very thin PCMCIA boards and associated mechanical
stress problems, didn't really talk about probing through flux residue.)
Have you asked this question of any test fixture companies?
(original query)
I was wondering if EMPF has performed or is aware of any testing on how easy
it is to probe solder paste flux residue.  We have seen that even though we
have a qualified no-clean process, there are case where we must still clean
in order to get repeatible test probe contact.  I have been in contact with
most paste supplier and have gotten the impression that there testing of
probeability has been very limited.  Any input put would be greatly
appreciated.

Bill Barthel         [log in to unmask]
Process Engineering Manager
Electronic Assembly Corporation