From:
Bob Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 11:53:04 -0800
We have many customers who routinely use 50 micron dry film solder
mask. We are even supplying some customers 25 micron dry film solder
mask. The limiting factor is circuit height. Traditional pattern plating will
often produce high conductors requiring additional mask thickness. In
Japan the reason dry film mask works so well is for the most part they
are panel plating with conductor heights usually not exceeding 50-60
microns.

The other thing to consider is application of the dry film solder mask. We
have new applications that allow the mask to conform to circuitry more
efficiently than traditional dry film solder mask. A 50 micron film can
encapsulate what formally required a 100 micron dry film solder mask.

Bob Metcalf
Morton Electronic Materials

>>> Goldman, Patricia J. <[log in to unmask]> 10/30/96 11:24am >>>

Now, maybe I'm wrong here, but I do believe that 50 microns = 2 mils.
That  doesn't seem very thin to me....  The problem I believe with
extremely thin  dry films is usually pinholes and some sort of  difficulty
with the carrier.
 The other problem with a dry film solder mask is getting conformity over
relatively high traces with a very thin film.  You may hear from some df
solder mask people on this one.

There were some recent lengthy discussions on plugging vias.  Best go
to the  web site and browse on that subject.

Patty