TECHNET Archives

February 1997

From:
[log in to unmask] (Doug McKean)
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 17:42:12 -0500
Doug Brooks wrote:

> Various sources (e.g. IPC) have formulas for propagation
> delay for microstrip and stripline configurations. Does
> anyone know of a formula for propagation time in a
> DUAL stripline configuration? Or is the stripline
> configuration close enough?

Hi Doug,

I have calculated prop delay in a round about manner.
I'll reference you to a Motorola ECL Design Apps book
they published a while ago.

In it prop delay is given as   pd = (L*C)^0.5

L = inductance of the trace/inch  (or whatever)
C = capacitance of the trace/inch (    "      )

I use *any* calculation I can get my hands on to
get the C.  L is a function of the trace itself.
Typically about 20 nH/inch.

I then drop these values into   pd = (L*C)^0.5
for a prop/inch number, then simply multiply
by the length of the trace for total delay.

If this all sounds like flying by the seat of
my pants, I agree.  But, I would challange
anyone to give me a reasonably accurate
measure of trace inductance to 3 decimal places.

I could be well wrong, so I would appreciate any ideas.

Regards,

Doug

   The comments and opinions stated herein are mine alone,
   and do not reflect those of my employer.