From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 10:05:47 -0500
Byran,

Yes, there are issues.  Yes there are boards like that.  We have a
couple telecom type backplanes, one (a bad one) has 22 layers, 15"x22",
press fit, SMT, etc.
Are you building the assembly or are you sourcing them?  The answers to
your questions, and the "gotchas" you face change depending on your
answer.  Some issues could be: Hole Aspect Ratios, PWB surface finish,
assembly tooling designs, order of assembly, Price, Price, Price, parts
availability (it's in the catalog, but delivery is 24 weeks), not
designing a single source situation, and (a personal favorite) "you
should have thought about testing the assembly before now."

Gotchas abound!

George Franck