Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 96 07:58:37 EST
     Tony, (and Phil)

        Cross Plying is something that some <claim to fame> works. Phil's
     comment sounds interesting. I think that to find out that cross plying
     was required for a particular construction would be case-by-case. My
     thoughts on cross plying is that it would be very labor intensive and
     require an awful lot of warehousing and training. If a minor mistake
     was made in lay-up or material issue, it would have a hugh impact on
     the finished product. Once in a blue moon we see the impact of this
     when a new trainee in lam or material issue cuts down prepreg or cores
     from a larger size and rotates the grain direction. (Trust me, it's no
     fun!)
        I've pretty much stayed away from this practice and focused on
     taking internal layer movement measurements and compensating artwork
     (scaling) up front. I put all the material(s) used with the grain
     direction one way. (For the record, watch the new innovative materials
     that are starting to be used for sample runs. Such as non-woven/random
     fiber, or Compositec <non-woven straight yarns intentionally cross
     plied to interlock>. These are showing much less movement on cores
     <.005" thk. <Especially on multi up on a panel>)

     Groovy