From:
Don Vischulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 19:25:38 -0500
Even though its Friday, I thought another comment is needed:

Ted Edwards is correct regarding the aspect ratio of the via holes and the
need for technology to assist plating in the hole.  The portion of his reply
that requires more discussion is the issue of "plating" via holes shut.  In
most cases a reputable board fabricator does not plate small holes to closure.
 Rather the holes are open through the entire wet processing cycle and are
closed during the reflow or HAL process (depending on your specification).
Both HAL and IR reflow fluxes are generally based on an inorganic acid (HCl)
and could retain corrosive by-products if the holes were plugged.  While I
haven't done the studies, I suspect that the holes will be plugged with solid
solder (no pockets of liquid).  If you are dealing with a board fabricator
that has invested in the equipment to bump or ultrasonically agitate the
boards during plating, that fabricator may have the studies available to
demonstrate that there are no corrosive residues in the holes or should be
willing to perform the testing to demonstrate that there are no reliability
problems.  If this is a problem for the fabricator, you might want to examine
the other fabrication services available in the marketplace.

Don Vischulis