From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
24 Sep 1996 10:42:26 -0500
The original question asked was:

Can anyone post here the formula for Cupric Chloride etch and Ammoniacal
Etch?  I know that Hydrochloric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide are used in
Cupric Chloride etch but I can't find any formula in my personal meager
library.

Thanks...

Reply:
Look in Coombs, Handbook of Printed Circuits 3 rd edition on page 14.15 at
paragraph 14.4.3  for the chemical reactions for cupric .  The alkaline
chemistry is on page 14.10.
Hydrochloric acid and Hydrogen peroxide or sodium hypochlorite are listed as
means to regenerate the cupric chloride etchant.  Only personnel with proper
equipment and that definitely includes very good ventilation with a fume
scrubber on the ventilation sustem, and more importantly a good
understanding should attempt to do this as the reaction basically involves
the creation of chlorine gas in the solution and you do not want this nasty
chemical in your breathing area  Chlorine gas really can kill you, and if it
does not get you when you breath it can cause chemical pneumonia