From:
"Ralph Hersey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
4 Jun 1996 08:56:23 -0700
Mail*Link(r) SMTP               FWD>DIP Socket

Larry, asked about mounting DIP's in sockets for "severe shock" requirements.

We had an application to mount similar components contained in microcontroller
instrumentation packages that were mounted on the end of the vehicle's axles
of  (automotive application) near the break's backing plate.

We've used a "high modulus" staking adhesive (silicone RTV) to stake the
components in their socket.  We used four "spots" located approximately on the
center line of the DIP.  The two end "spots" were a narrow line-like
application of adhesive that "press out" to about 2/3's the width of the
component body, the  two "spots" evenly spaced along the center line between
the end spots were sized to "press out" to about 1/4 the width of the DIP.  We
had no component "fall out" failures in the 1.5 years of operaton for the
project.

 -l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-
aa                                       aa
aa          aaa            aaa           aa
aa          aaa            aaa           aa
aa                                       aa
 -l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-l-

the "i's, -'s, and |'s are the outline of the component body and component
leads.
the "a's" are the locations for the adhesive.

The use of an RTV staking adhesive allowed removal of the component using a
thin end-edged knife to slide between the DIP and it's socked to cut the
adhesive, then clean up the excess adhesive and bond another DIP in place to
change programming of the microcontroller.

Not knowing what you "severe shock environment" is, the above my possibly
help.

Ralph Hersey
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

--------------------------------------
Date: 6/4/96 8:00 AM
From: Pucket, Larry Lee       9784 M
Does anyone have any info or manufacturer for a 40 pin socket that you can
secure the DIP into the socket securely.  We have a severe shock requirement
and need some way to hold the DIP in.

Thanks in advance,

Larry L. Pucket
Dept. 9784 MS0624