From:
"Dill, Norm J" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 01 Apr 96 14:36:00 EST

   I few years ago I had good results with reheating/cooling assembled
warped boards.  When the board was held (fixtured) flat and heated just long
enough so that the core temp is just short of the Tg of the laminate, it
worked well.  It was equally important to let it cool very sloowwly so that
new stresses were not created.
    You mentioned using weight with poor results.  It would seem difficult
to evenly distribute weight on an assembled board.  Also, assuming the
weight only contacted parts of the board, the cooling rate would not be
equal becuase of the differences in thermal mass.
    The fixture I used was made from 1/2 bar stock.  The board was clamped
onto the frame and extra short pieces were added as needed to pull the
center area flat.   The bar stock kept the board flat and allowed air
circulation around both sides.
    Being assembled, check the high temp rating on the components.  Either
remove the ones that will melt or run at a lower temp.  If your temp. is too
low, the stresses within the laminate will not be fully relieved.

Norm Dill