TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:42:47 -0400
Phil,

From a prior life...

We baked boards prior to conformal coat at 100C to 125C for a minimum of 1
hour.

This is one subject we did much work at and did not write a paper. Speaking
from memory, we exposed various board materials to moisture and weighed
them. Then, we baked the boards for a given period of time and weighed them
again at a specific temperature. Discovered that the weight difference after
baking the boards out for more than 1 hour at 100C to 125C was minimum. For
moisture sensitive material, like polyimide, suggest baking the hardware for
2 hours minimum.

Of course, at higher temperatures, you can remove the moisture faster, but
the price you might pay is thermally shocking the hardware and the boards.
At lower temperatures, you may be safe if you bake them overnight.

Concerning reliability, don't have an answer for you. We did not have a
problem with component or board reliability after baking the hardware at
100C to 125C for 1 hour. It depends on your components and board materials.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Lee Whiteman
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ph: (610) 362-1200 x208
Fax: (610) 362-1290