Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:28:16 +0400 (EDT)
I take it that the impedance measurements are being done on printed
circuit boards.  I have been looking into the question of such
measurements recently.

Here at Compunetics I have an HP 54120 scope and associated 4 channel
test set.  I recently got several mounting jacks from M/A Com, part
number 2062-0000-000, that offer a 50-ohm connection to the appropriate
mounting holes on a board.  I expect these jacks to work well with a
suitable coupon on the board edge.  They certainly seem sturdy enough.
They can be screwed into a 50-ohm cable from the test set.  I also plan
on terminating the coupon with a 50-ohm jack and a 50-ohm termination to
get rid of reflections  there.

IPC-TM-650, method 2.5.5.7, may be of some help.  It is where I got the
M/A Com part number.

According to Alson Wong at Hewlett-Packard, not having a 75-ohm connector
should not create a big problem if your test set is 50-ohms.  I can't
speak from experience.  If you want to call him, Alson's number is
800-452-4844.  He is in Colorado.

How do I find out more about the Polar instruments?  Do you have an
address or phone number?

Louis Hart

.