Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 08:59:50 -0500

John--
    On all of our assembly drawings that contain thru-hole component leads,
 we reference the lead protrusion allowed as a max dimension and allow
 "the absence of component lead contour discernibilty in the solder joint
 is permissible."(Quote from our drawings). On any design with a total
 thickness (pwb + heatsink) above .130, it will contain the note for lead
 penetration ""WITOUT PROTRUSION". Since we do only mil work, a WHITE
 PAPER was prepared for customer/military approval. We beleive that it is
 not a reliability issue based on testing completed in-house. We have many
 systems flying without negitive feedback for several years and are very
 comfortable with our decision. Feel free to contact me if you have any
 questions. Have a good day.

  (203) 852-4810                                       Bob Vanech