From:
Pratap Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 15:07:03 -0700
Mark R. Peltier wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with rigid flex applications?  We are
> interested in knowing the pros/cons, reliability/cost of this application.
> Are there any specific vendors that specialize in this? Any help would be
> appreciated.  Thanks,
>
>              +------------------------------------------------+
>             /                                                /
>            /  /\    /\      iDEN SUBSCRIBER DIVISION        /
>           /  /  \  /  \     8000 W. Sunrise Blvd.          /
>          /  /    \/    \    Plantation, FL 33322          /
>         /  /   __/\__   \   (954)723-4817  FAX:723-4881  /
>        /  / __/      \__ \                              /
>       /  /_/            \_\ O T O R O L A              /
>      /                                                /
>     /                                                /
>    /  Mark R. Peltier          [log in to unmask]  /
Mark, this technology has been used for many many years by aero-space
industry as it help to reduce weight and volume of electronics product.
Also the reliability of the final product is increased due to elimination
of mechanical interconnections. The flex-rigid also allows 3-D packaging
which is difficult to do with tarditional card on board approach.

There is a large volume of literature on the subject. There are many
vendors who supply rigid-flexi circuit cards. To name a few:
1.Sheldhal  1-800-328-3448
2.Fujikura
3.Nitto Denko (408-432-5464)
4.Grabil International (contact The Alpha Omega group 408-438-5665) The
number may have changed.
5.Minco
6.Basic electronics co. 714-530-2400
7.Sanders (603-669-4615)

The following articles may be helpful:
1.'Flexible circuits-the 3-D interconnection sysyem' by Brian Shorrock,
Electronics Industry October 1981
2.'The flexible circuits - the true cost' by T.F. Hogan, Welwyn Electric
Ltd.
3.'Printed circuits -rigid and flexible' by John Fell, Design Engineering
August 1978
In addition the rigid-flexi is used in all poratble computers, print head
in printers, read-write heads in all drives and communication equipment.
The serviceability of the product is greatly simplified with the use of
rigid-flexi combination with a significant costreduction.
Good luck with your project.

Pratap Singh
Tel./Fax: 512-255-6820
e-mail: [log in to unmask]