From:
"Leo P. Lambert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 22:07:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Michael.

We had some experience with component cracking due to moisture entrapment,
from TSOP, PQFP, ICs and some Memory DRAMs.  We required the supplier to
provide the components in hermetically sealed packages and once received in
manufacturing and the package was opened we had a given time period to use
up all the components.  If the components were not used up within that given
period of time, and the monitoring process for humidity within the facility
exceeded the boundaries of the requirements, then the components were baked
for moisture removal.

The effect of component cracking or popcorning is long term reliability of
the product with the use of those components.  In our case the cracking
occurred on the bottom side of the package and was not visible unless the
component was removed, which by the way was the way we found out about the
cracking in the first place.

IPC has documentation regarding component cracking, you should contact them
and get copies to establish your process.

Hope this helps.

Leo Lambert
Technical Director
EPTAC CORP.