From:
"rdenier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 96 17:05:48 EST
     To:        D. Stewart
     From:      Richard Denier  - Facilities / Maintenance Mgr
     Re:        Sulphuric acid & pumice

        We have had a Pumiflex in operation at our plant for over 12 years
     and have experienced the same problem you are having.  I.S. did not
     recommend using sulphuric and neither did our other suppliers at the
     time. Although it may be a band-aid, it is still practiced here.  The
     main slurry tank holds approximately 50 litres and in that, we add 9
     kg of pumice / 250 ml of sulphuric acid and fill the rest with water.

     Caution:

     1.  Make sure that the core material from your brush manufacturer is
     a high grade stainless steel, otherwise the acid will eat through the
     core.  This will occur within 36 hours of production and may upset
     your maintenance staff ( slightly ) when they have to peel the brushes
     out of there!

     2.  Do not exceed 250 ml of acid, or it will also attack the cotton
     socks that cover the pinch rollers.  This will defeat the purpose of
     the pinch rollers and cause excessive dragout into your rinse section.

        I don't know if this is what you had in mind, but I figured you
     should know that your not alone!  We have had good results over the
     years with this method.  Please call me if you wish to go into further
     detail. ( 416-299-4000 ext#314 )

     Regards, Richard Denier
              PC World, Toronto, Canada