From:
David Malanchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:19:53 -0400
I am looking for information on the Pro and Con for use of
Blind vias or  Burried vias in the design of printed wiring
boards.

 Assuming a rigid PWB technology with 5 mil wide lines, 5 mil line
 to line spacing,  12-15 mil diameter blind (or burried) via hole
 diameters with 22-25 mil via land diameters, ...

 Assuming a double sided SMT PWA with more than 50% the area of each
 side of the PWB covered with components, including fine pitch
 QFPs and BGAs,....

 Assuming I could wire this product in 8 dedicated wiring planes,
 including top and bottom surface planes without using blind or
 burried vias.

Then:  If I used :                Blind Vias   or    Burried Vias

How many planes would I need.        ?         or         ?

What price delta would this cause
        Bare PWB cost delta:         ?%        or         ?%
 	Assembly cost delta:         ?%        or         ?%

Can anyone direct me to some information on this type of analysis?
I realize that unique and product specific wiring studies should
be performed to do a riqorous analysis and the the costs (prices
to me) vary from PWB supplier to supplier, but someone out there
must have seen some good report on this problem that could help me.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards   David Malanchuk  Kodak Equipment Manufacturing Div
                                Electronic Products Design