From:
"Kelly, Pat" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 16:51:00 -0400

 ----------
From: Kelly, Pat
To: Technet
Subject: Wave solder not adhering to electrotin plated fasteners
Date: Wednesday, July 31, 1996 3:52PM

Hi there!

I need some help.  We manufacture steel, threaded fasteners that broach into
printed circuit boards.  These fasteners are electrotin plated for excellent
solderability.  These fasteners pass the ASTM B678 solderability test
easily.

One customer is using our fasteners in a typical PCB application.  After
installing our fasteners, the board is put thru a wave solder process.  This
customer claims - and has given me samples - of fasteners that definitely
have not held soldered adequately.

Anyone out there please help.  Why would our fasteners pass the ASTM B678
solderability test but experience trouble in a "real world" application?
 Has anyone experienced a similar problem with our fasteners.  Let me know.

Thanks,

Pat Kelly
Applications Engineering Manager
Penn Engineering