From:
Gary Ferrari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 15:09:45 -0400
Thad;

You need to state whether you want numbers for LPI, high conformance thin
films (<0.002inch thick), or both.

The IPC standards recommend that you send 1/1 data to the fabricator, with
your requirements as to encroachment on the lands. If you specify IPC-RB-276
and IPC-SM-840, the encroachment issue will be covered. In short:

IPC-RB-276, Para. 3.11.1

d. Solder resist need not be flush with the periphery of the land. Clearance
of solder resist around a land exposing bare laminate may average up to 0.13
mm [0.005 in] but shall not expose isolated lands. Misregistration may allow
the bare area between lands and conductors to have no solder mask; however,
the adjacent conductor shall not be exposed. Misregistration may allow
clearances to vary so that while the average of 0.13 mm [0.005 in] is
maintained on opposite sides of a given land, the clearance may range from
0.25 mm [0.010 in] to 0.000 mm [0.000 in].

f. When a land contains no plated through holes, as in the case of surface
mount lands, misregistration shall not cause encraochment of the solder
resist over the land greater than 0.05 mm [0.002 in] for pitch of 1.25 mm
[0.050 in] or greater; and encroachment shall not exceed 0.025 mm [0.001 in]
for pitch less than 1.25 mm [0.050 in]. encroachment may occur on adjacent
sides but not on opposite sides of a surface mount land.

The reasoning behind 1/1 data is that each fabricator's capability is
different. However, THEY know what they need to do to meet the end product
requriemetn. They will compensate the data for their process.

_________________________________
>Subject: FAB: Soldermask Webs.
>Author:  [log in to unmask] at Dell_UNIX
>Date:    5/11/96 7:50 AM
>

>-- [ From: Doug Jeffery * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
>Friends,
>
>We have seen many designs that have smaller webs between SMP's than they
>have circuits.  Imagin creating a .003" line in Soldermask yet the board
>has .006" traces.  We have found that any Soldermask web design that is
>.005" of web by design is reproducable and  can be placed reliably, but
>below .005" the LPI masks do no hold on.
>The key reason is undercut. The  LPI between SMP's is thicker than
>anywhere else on the board.  This requires that the exposure be set up
>to accomadate the thicker material, however overexposure can cause
>other feature problems.  After you have optimised the exposure you play
>with the developing until you keep a good dam between pads, Bingo you
>are leaving ink in the holes.   So,  you crank up the developer and get
>that ink out of the holes....Catch 22...
>
>AT .005" feature size (dams) you are able to optimize the process,
>below .005" dams the undercut takes the foot of the LPI down to .003"
>or .002" which makes the adhesion a problem, hense the peelers and
>redoposit problems that you expressed.
>
>?What is the answer for .020" pitch devices that require .014" pad
>widths?
>
>?what is the answer for .006" lands on .012" centers?
>
>I don't know but certainly we have to get to one.  We have tried double
>coating, Unpigmented material, reduced pigmented material..No
>significant result differences.  We try to get customers to leave use
>.009" min space between SMP's to keep a dam (2/5/2 by design.  This
>makes LPI exposing a tighter regitration than our outerlayer
>requirements.

Regards,

Gary Ferrari
Tech Circuits