From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 96 17:17:15 cst
     Hi Blue Smurf!
        We have been using the Omega wave on two pieces of equipment. You
     will find both opinion camps regarding its utility. After running
     various DOE's and just listening to the operators observations, I
     believe that the Omega wave does two things for wave soldered
     assemblies: a) it allows better penetration of solder into thru holes
     and vias by applying a vertical or z axis force component to the
     solder wave; 2) it helps with design layouts that cause component
     shadowing. Too much Omega wave has resulted in icicles and solder
     balls. The Omega wave isn't a silver bullet - it won't solve bad
     design or poor process parameters. The work I have done is all
     internal and I can't release it but would be happy to discuss things
     in generic terms  over the phone.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins
     319-395-1615