From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 09:21:35 PST

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:16:54 +600 CDT John Gully wrote:

> From: John Gully <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:16:54 +600 CDT
> Subject: SPEEDBOARD PLATING
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Address,
>
> It's been a few months, but I'm back on the NET Cowboys and
> Cowgirls.  You previously knew me as John Gulley at Hitachi
> Computer Products Division in Norman, OK.  I am know with
> Compuroute Inc. in the BIG D of USA or Texas.
>
> Enough of the intro.....
>

> Does anyone have experience in desmearing, etchbacking and
> eletroless plating SPEEDBOARD (PTFE-Teflon) materials.  We have
> been using SPEEDBOARD for approximately a year and have had good
> success through our processes.  Recently we have encountered some
> process issues that are effecting overall quality.
>
> Anyone's assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Thomas John Gulley
> Process Engineer
>
> p.s.
>
> *In know way are we a competitor to PCB shops in the industry.
> We are a specialized company (ATE) that deals with
>
> 1.  exotic materials: C.E., Polyimide, Speedboard, Teflon, B.T.
> 2.  high layer counts:  16~24 layers
> 3.  SVH: .006~.014 PTHs
> 4.  metals: mainly gold boards, nickel, palladium
> 5.  We design, fab and assembly a majority of our products.

	John: Just an additional piece of information on the comments from
Fred Paul and others.After holewall treatment with the sodium napthalene it
is critical to use an organic solvent rinse(isopropyl alcohol)followed by a
hot(140f)water rinse.If this is not done it may explain why voids were
observed by one responder on sequential FR-4 boards processed thru els.cu
after running teflon parts.BTW when we ran teflon it was run back to back
with FR-4 and no voiding of els.was observed,we did increase the time for
teflon by 30% in the els. cu bath.	Good luck

					Regards
					Michael Barmuta
					Staff Engineer
					Fluke corp.