From:
Michael Branning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 15:21:45 -0400
My company is setting up a small surface mount line. We have been building
thru-hole boards with one PQFP package per board (IC only available in SMT)
for some time with very good success. We've been using hot air (Leister)
rework tools to mount the SMT parts by hand. However, we are in the process
of designing some full SMT boards (one sided).

We've just purchased and started using a Lovell convection oven and a small
manual screen printer. Up till now, we generally have ignored the
humidity/exposure warnings on the IC packaging. Is the only effect we must
be concerned with "popcorning"? Does the package always dramatically fail?
Or can problems be created that are invisible to the naked eye? If the parts
must be baked, what equipment would be suitable for small production runs?
(50-100 boards)

Sorry to sound like a rookie; thanks for the help!

Michael Branning
Avtec