TECHNET Archives

May 2013

From:
Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Inge Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 09:01:12 +0200
The progression has been incredible the last decades. Those of you who
worked for the big ones, do you remember the computer halls? We had a hall
about 50x50 meters filled with memory machines, each in the size of a
washing machine, and shelves loaded with hundreds of data spools. The noise
was like from a small idling jet machine.  When you wanted a drawing for
instance, you called the computer hall personnel and they went for the
'disk' with the requested content and put it in the machine that
represented a specific area. They all had nicknames, like Jenny, Summer,
Tango, April.......

Inge