From:
"Edwards, Ted A (AZ75)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
17 Sep 1996 08:52:48 -0500
Buried vias should only be used where the density of the board justifies
their additional cost.  In general buried vias allow the board to be made
with fewer layers but it is like adding additional double sided boards to
the build cycle.  The fabrication losses on the via layers are like the
losses on double sided boards and are very dependent on the lines and space
widths chosen.  They are helpful if Z axis expansion is a concern and if
circuit run lengths are critical they allow interconnection without
returning to the board surfaces.  Once laminated the losses are just like a
comparable multilayer for the continuation of processing both at fabrication
and assembly.  We once had many designs using them but found our fabricator
supplier base to prefer added layers to buried vias as capacity in their
shops plus dollar return per square foot processed are important to them.
 It is like you take a multilayer shop and ask it to run double sided boards
mixed in with the normal product.  The drill and plating time is used up and
they do not get the dollar return for it.  Plus it seemed like when we had a
internal fabrication shop and made buried via boards you were always short
vias when you scheduled the lamination area and had to wait for them to be
made.