Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:07:32 -0400
     Elroy,

     I recently attended the University of Wisconsin's "System EMC
     Compliance through Printed Circuit Design" seminar and was taught that
     if the external planes are for shielding purposes, it is a good idea
     to run a guard ring of ground around the periphery of the board on all
     layers and tie the external planes and the internal ground plane
     together through closely spaced (.25 inch) vias only at the guard
     ring. Tying the IC and Cap ground pins to the external plane only puts
     noise onto the shield.  The course contained other subtle tricks. Take
     it if you can get the chance.

     Gary Fuller
     Edwards Systems Technology
     Sarasota, Florida 34243