From:
"LISA GREENLEAF" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
16 Oct 1996 14:47:49 -0400

<<Does this FORUM also contain MIL qualifications ?

As far as I am aware, the IPC Technet is intended for general technical board
discussions/issues in general, so questions around Military qualification to
55110 and 50884 would be within  the scope of that intent.

<<As far as I know,  the MIL specifications 55110 and 50884 are converting
from DESC to IPC and therefor I belive there should be a forum for
QUALIFICATIONs .>>

There is no active work within the military (specifically DESC) to convert
either of these documents to IPC specifications.  Both specifications will be
superceded by MIL PRF 31032.  There is, however, activity onging in the IPC to
write a document that would accomplish similar results as 31032 (the documents
IPC 6011 and IPC 6012), however I am unaware of any military intentions to
adopt these documents as replacement to 31032.

There is activity within the industry, however, in the user community to move
toward "COTS" .. (Commercial Off The Shelf), and in this vain, some board
users have interpreted this to mean "commercial industry standards" such as
IPC documents.  It is my belief that the military views 31032 as a COTS
alternative since it allows the use of best commercial practises.

<<OK  .. If this FORUM know's anything about the two mentioned MIL spec's
I would like to know where to get some sort of standard form for
Qualifications to these two spec's.

There is a standard form for applying for qualification, and these can be
obtained either through DESC directly, or through one of the independent test
labs who have lab suitability status for these documents.

The process for qualification would require a board mfr to submit an
application to DESC, which will be replied to with an "authorization to
conduct qual testing letter."  The qual samples are standard throughout the
industry and use IPC artworks as described with in each spec.  The samples,
once built are submitted to the test lab who then fills out a detailed test
report containing the data as measured from the samples.  This test report is
then submitted directly to DESC and back to the board mfr.  Once passing
results are reviewed by DESC, qualification number(s) are assigned by DESC and
the mfr is listed on the appropriate QPL.

<<Forms for recording the actual data during qualification testing. Forms with
allready made records/tables for the data to be recorded, and with
refrences to the actual requirements in the specs, or something like this.

Several of the test labs have created their own forms on which the data is
collected, you might contact the lab you typically use, or one who is listed
on the list of those labs granted suitability from DESC.

<<I have tried to reach DSCC-VQE by fax the 7 of oct. , but there has been
no reaktion so far.

I would recomment you call either Joe Dihrkop at 614-692-0624
or Ray Kolonchuk at 614-692-0621.  The fax number that I have for them is
614-692-6943.

Hope this helps!
Regards

Lisa Greenleaf