From:
[log in to unmask] (Jack Crawford)
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 12:43:55 -0500
This Good Times thing goes around about every six months for the last
several years.  I copy and quote the following from America On Line
administrative support areas. In every instance, the caveat is always
presented to avoid any files with this name if you are at all suspicious.
It is always good to share concerns of this type with our peers and
eliminate potential problems. One of these "stories" being real is all it
would take to potentially do millions of dollars in destructive damage.

Dear Members:

We've recently heard from many of you that the "Good Times" virus rumor is
once again making its way around America Online and the Internet.

On December 6, 1994, the US Department of Energy's CIAC issued a bulletin
declaring the Good Times virus a hoax.  On April 24, they issued another
bulletin reiterating this statement. We have not received reports from ANY
members that they have contracted the "Good Times" virus -- but we
understand that you have concerns, and wanted to address them here.

If you receive a piece of mail spreading rumors of this hoax, please
forward it to screen name TOSEMAIL1. If you would like to have further
information about the Good Times Virus Hoax, use keyword VIRUS on America
Online --  the Good Times Virus "FAQ" (frequently asked questions) is in
the software libraries.

Finally, for your information, we are reprinting below our original notice
to you last December.

Regards,

The America Online Terms of Service Staff

-----------------

Dear Member:

We have received several inquiries over the last couple of days regarding a
rumored "virus" in an email message entitled "Good Times."  We thought it
would be best to briefly explain how the mail system works, and what we
know about the rumored piece of email.

As background, AOL incorporates virus protection throughout the service and
scans all posted software, text, and sound files in public areas.

We have never had an occurence of a virus being spread through simply
reading email.  It is possible, however, for an attached file to an email
to carry a virus that could cause a problem.  We cannot scan files in email
for viruses as we do with files in  public areas of the service since email
represents private electronic communication. In order for the virus to
spread to your computer, you would have to proactively select the attached
file and download it to your hard drive.  It is therefore advisable never
to download attached files from an unknown sender.
While there has been quite a bit of rumor regarding this "Good Times" piece
of mail, AOL has not been able to confirm a single incident of a subscriber
receiving this mail, or any subscriber getting a virus through e-mail.
Given the nature of the rumor, if you do receive mail entitled "Good
Times," we would advise that you avoid downloading any file that is
attached with this title.

If you ever receive a file in email that you believe could cause problems,
please forward it immediately to TOSEMAIL [please note the new address is
TOSEMAIL1], and explain your concerns.  Meanwhile we will keep you posted
should we receive any additional information.

Warm Regards,
America Online

Transmitted: 3/27/96 11:53 PM (VICgtltr)
------------------------------------
 The Good Times email virus is a hoax!
        If anyone repeats the hoax, please show them the FAQ.

             G o o d  T i m e s  V i r u s  H o a x
                           --------
                         M i n i  F A Q

                          by Les Jones

                        February 6, 1996

      This information can be freely reproduced in any medium,
            as long as the information is unmodified.

A FAQ, if you're new to the Internet, is a document that answers
Frequently Asked Questions. This Mini FAQ is a summary of, and a
reference to, the full FAQ, which has much more information about this
and other hoaxes. Instructions for retrieving the full FAQ are at the
end of this message. The Mini FAQ is short enough for faxes, message
boards, company memos, and people with short attention spans.

Is the Good Times email virus a hoax?
-------------------------------------

Yes. It's a hoax.

America Online, government computer security agencies, and makers of
anti-virus software have declared Good Times a hoax. See Online
References at the end of the FAQ.

The hoax has been around since at least November of 1994. Since that
time, no copy of the alleged virus has ever been found, nor has there
been a single verified case of a viral attack.

I'm new to the Internet. What is the Good Times virus hoax?

The story is that a virus called Good Times is being carried by email.
Just reading a message with "Good Times" in the subject line will
erase your hard drive, or even destroy your computer's processor.
Needless to say, it's a hoax, but a lot of people believed it.

Some of the companies that have reportedly fallen for the hoax include
AT&T, CitiBank, NBC, Hughes Aircraft, Microsoft, Texas Instruments,
and dozens or hundreds of others. There have been outbreaks at
numerous colleges.

The U.S. government has not been immune. Some of the government
agencies that have reportedly fallen victim to the hoax include the
Department of Defense, the FCC, and NASA.

The full Good Times Virus Hoax FAQ has more information about the
origins of the hoax, and variations on the text of the hoax.

What was the CIAC bulletin?
---------------------------

On December 6, 1994, the U.S. Department of Energy's CIAC (Computer
Incident Advisory Capability) issued a bulletin declaring the Good
Times virus a hoax and an urban legend. The bulletin was widely quoted
as an antidote to the hoax. The original document can be found at the
address in Online References at the end of the mini FAQ, and is
included verbatim in the full FAQ. CIAC issued another bulletin on
April 24, 1995 to reiterate that Good Times is a hoax.

Online References
-----------------

**CIAC Notes 94-05, 95-09, and especially 94-04**

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes04c.shtml
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes05d.shtml
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/notes/Notes09.shtml

Data Fellows' description of Good Times
http://www.datafellows.fi/v-descs/goodtime.htm

Australian Cert Note
ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-95.02.virus.hoax.returns

Where can I find this FAQ and the complete FAQ?
people with short attention spans.

http://www.usit.net/public/lesjones/goodtimes.html
http://www.usit.net/public/lesjones/gtminifaq.html
http://users.aol.com/macfaq/goodtimes.html
http://users.aol.com/macfaq/gtminifaq.html

Via FTP:

ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/good-times-virus-hoax-faq.txt
ftp://usit.net/pub/lesjones/good-times-virus-hoax-mini-faq.txt
ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq/good-times-virus-hoax-faq.txt
ftp://users.aol.com/macfaq/good-times-virus-hoax-mini-faq.txt

On America Online:

In the file libraries at keyword VIRUS.

Transmitted: 3/27/96 11:53 PM (VICgtmf)

          Jack Crawford