TECHNET Archives

January 2001

From:
"Robert E. Mesick" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:27:55 -0800
Sean,

Actually there are several methods to reduce water pressure
variations in large systems.

1.  Add a booster pump on the input line to increase overall line
pressure and flow (boost city water pressure).  Law of diminishing
returns operates here.

2.  Add pressure regulator to each leg off the main.  This will
evenly distribute pressure to each leg.  If the maximum process water
pressure needed on a leg is 30 40 psi (conveyor rinse) why run 80 psi
in the line?  Set line pressures for 20, 30 or 40 psi depending on
your need.

3.  Reduce open pipe flow by adding a fixed restrictor to each open
feed.

4.  Add a water flow timer, automatic valve, or conductivity
controller (DI only) to spray rinses and dip rinses.  Use a fixed
volume of rinse water for each unit of production.

We did fixed timers on one shop with open tanks years ago and cut
them to 1/3 of the original flow (was easy then).

There are is more info on the web site in the application notes.

Best Regards,

Bob Mesick

On 9 Jan 2001, at 10:00, sean clinton wrote:

> All,
>
> We are looking at ways to control the amount of water we use
> throughout our plant, as variations in water pressure arise when
> differing numbers of production units are up and running.  Currently
> we rely on operators to open and close valves as the water pressure
> changes.  We feel this is inefficient, and are thinking of ways to
> limit: 1.) the consumption amount and 2.) to regulate the water going
> to each line so enough will be available at sufficient pressure to
> properly operate each production machine. Our thought is to install
> pressure regulators/restrictors on each unit to control this problem.
> Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of situation?
>  If so, how did you resolve this issue.  Any help and advice is
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Sean Clinton
> Process Engineer