TECHNET Archives

March 1997

From:
Terry Zhu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:04:23 -0800
Hello Robert:

I assume you are talking about preclean for electroplating.
I think the best way to check the performance of the cleaning solution is to run some test coupons to get weight loss. You could prepared test coupons same as your production and let some test coupons go through the whole preclean stage and the others only hit acid cleaning. Then set your SPC limit accordingly based on the performance. The titration you do is  to check the acid content and we assume the surfactant is properly mixed well by the ratio.  But that can be off sometime.

The amount of copper need to be removed is really determined by the upstream process. The thickness and fine structure of the PTH and film you are using. The bottom line is to keep integrity of the PTH and microrough the surface but not micropolish.