From:
"Myron Papiz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 07 May 96 10:55:44 CST

     I have been tracking a number of failures of LED's mounted in the
     lower position of dual LED assemblies.  The failure mode typically has
     been an open junction.

     Because I have been able to restore LED illumination by heating the
     lenses on a number of the rejected LED's, I suspected that the failure
     mechanism was likewise based on the application of heat to the lens.
     As the lens heated up, the plastic distorted, resulting in open
     junctions.

     Since it was the lower LED which would always fail and the devices
     were edge-mounted, it was natural to suspect an improper height
     adjustment of the solder wave.  This condition was verified by
     observing that the lower LED's indeed did become immersed in the
     solder.  Based on this observation, the wave height was reduced, and
     the failure rate dropped dramatically.

     Six weeks passed and the failure rate increased again.  I have been
     assured that the solder wave height has not been readjusted.

     Anyone have similar experiences or thoughts on the failure mechanism?

     Myron Papiz