TECHNET Archives

January 2002

Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 12:01:40 -0600
Hi folks! I just extracted myself from a wonderful discussion on the impact
of PbFree solder alloys on the wave solder equipment, specifically the
impact of molten tin "wear" on the solderpot and pumps. My past
conversations with various folks has been that the impact will be minimal
with some of the stainless steel construction materials (e.g. 301 - 304
alloys) have some problems but cast iron, titanium, or ceramic coated
solderpots/pumps will fair reasonably well. SEHO presented a paper at APEX
which showed some wonderful molten tin attack on the wave solder equipment
(well, it was wonderful from a purely metallurgical view point anyway) but
my question to the forum is this: Does anyone have personal experience,
either good or bad, with PbFree solder alloys and wave solder equipment?
(Hey Eric de Kluizenaar - have you experienced any issues with your wave
solder line?). We don't need to discuss "who's" equipment was impacted but
more of a discussion of the alloy/solderpot interactions.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins