From:
EDDIE VAN HOREN 014 57 20 08 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 15:48:27 +0100 (MET)

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your info.
I'm however very surprised with your statement that the problem in
wavesoldering can be solved by selecting another type of flux, looking
at the nature of the problem.
Can you tell me which flux type(s) would solve the problem?
We are using a Soltec SIGMA nitrogen wavesoldering machine, with a
no-clean flux COBAR 398.

Eddie Van Horen
Alcatel Telecom Belgium

>     Hi Eddie - the problems you have brought up on the use of
Palladium
>     finishes have been recognized by industry. We (Rockwell) have
>     experienced both great success and tremendous problems with
Palladium
>     finished SOICs for both wave and reflow soldering operations. Our
key
>     ingredient, along with other companies, is the TYPE of flux you
are
>     using. Not all low residue or water soluble or rosin based fluxes
are
>     the same! We tested several low residues fluxes and found that
>     specific fluxes did or did not perform adequately. The use of an
inert
>     atmosphere (either nitrogen or a vapor phase environment) can give
the
>     soldering process an extra boost too. We are reflow soldering
>     Palladium SOICs on military product with very low defect numbers.
The
>     IPC 002 (component solderability), 003 (PWB solderability), and
>     Solderable finishes specification committees are all working on
the
>     issue of non-tin/lead finishes. I would contact Bob Hall,
Solderable