TECHNET Archives

February 2021

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2021 21:12:50 +0000
Tell us about the pwb.

Start with the stackup:
Is it a std single lam PTH pwb?
A conventional BBV sequential lam of some sort?  A foil buildup HDI stackup?

Sounds like you could use a guide in this. Hopefully your fabricator has a good xsection lab and ability to look at failure analysis.  Work with them.  It's rare I find a laminate vendor who's really much help but still it can be useful to draw them in as well for additional lab support.

You'll want to do an f/a including probably starting with a peelback of a delam if that's possible to get a look for clues like varigation in oxide, inclusions, dry areas etc.
You'll also want to x-section some to get a look from that direction to look at the failing layer and interface. Lots of questions and clues to be had there as to whether it's a cohesive or adhesive failure. Is it associated with vias, or perhaps with copper filled areas. .... and so on and so forth...