TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Ahne Oosterhof <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:40:55 -0800
All this talk about getting rid of heat sounds scary. If I remember right,
these bus type frames, of which VME is only one, have a limited amount of
power available per card slot. If you exceed that, the other slots go
hungry, or you find yourself with a long-term power supply reliability
problem. To paint a blacker picture, most of the power supplies in these
boxes have specs that indicate they can deliver lots of power and they can
work at the resulting higher temperatures, but often they cannot do both
simultaneously!!
And a worse result is that all that input power turns into output heat. From
my experience heat is a serious problem in these boxes. It is a problem in
19" rackmount card cages in the first place to get the heat away from the
VME card, secondly to get it out of the VME box and in the third place to
get it out of the 19" rack (or where ever you put it).
A last thought: heat is often not a problem for today, it lets its presence
known in the future, so you end up with field failures: RELIABILITY.

Good luck with your investigations,
Ahne.