From:
"Jeff Seeger" <simon.ipc.org!bort.mv.net!rapidcad!jseeger>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 96 14:45:23 EDT

	Tim Mascorella asked,

> the cathode side of a diode with a square pad on the circuit board, while
> others say the convention is just the opposite.  Which is it, and is there a
> specification which mandates one or the other?

	I'm not aware of any actual standard.  Maybe one exists and that's
	my problem!

	There's actually alot of boring history to this question.  In
	the '70s, as we migrated to CAD equipment, hand written netlists
	were required.  Generally the CAD equipment needed to think in
	terms of pin numbers, leading to a general convention of labelling
	the cathode end of a diode, or the "+" end of a polarized capacitor,
	as pin 1, usually accompanied with a square pad.

	As CAE equipment rolled out, many such vendors supplied at least
	a starting library.  As far as I can tell, all but Futurenet used
	the cathode-as-pin-1 approach.  These days, I think a few CAE ven-
	dors are using pin-2-as-cathode, notably Viewlogic.

	These days, LED's tend to complicate things, as they tend to be
	marked from the manufacturer with a "+" on the anode end.

	Our standard advice to customers is "never use a vendor supplied
	library", unless you one-by-one qualify each symbol.

	Perhaps I am simply a victim of history and should follow the LED
	and Viewlogic model.

	"The simple things you see are all complicated"
                                           - The Who

	Regards,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
        Chief Boring Historian                       Tyngsboro, MA  01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649 9800