From:
"ddhillma" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 96 12:29:17 cst
     Good morning Jack!
        I have several articles in my references that describe both
     acceptable use and disastrous use of tin/lead pins in gold sockets. I
     think the key word you used is "potential". In the right environment
     (moisture - not necessarily water) you will have problems because of
     the galvanic effect of tin on gold. If things stay dry then you may
     have no problems. For a battery to form you need two dissimilar metals
     and an electrolyte - take away one of the three and you avoid
     problems. Look at your environment and see if moisture would be a
     concern. Also look at the ASM Metals Handbook Vol. 13 Corrosion for
     additional information.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins