TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
"d. terstegge" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 10:48:23 +0100
Hi Stacy,

Assuming you have a modern full forced convection oven, with your maximum boardthickness of 1.27 mm you should be able to work with one ovensetting. Start with an average setting for your oven, and measure the temperature on the heaviest component of your heaviest board, and on the base material of your lightest board.  If the temperature difference between these two extremes is less than 30 degrees Celcius than it is very likely that you can do everything with one profile.
Then tweak the ovensettings until you reach at least 200 degrees on the heavy board, and check on the light board that the temperature doesn't exceed 230 or 235 degrees. Now this becomes your new profile....
Of course there several other things you have to think about when setting up a profile, check the literature  (with the technical-articles search-engine on my webpage http://www.smtinfo.net/smtlinks.html you should be able to track some good webpages about this).
For every new board you have to decide if the design fits between the heavy and the light board that you used during setting up the recipe. You can do this by measurements, but after some time you'll be able to predict the results.
One final remark: pay some extra attention to the BGA's, if there's any on your boards.

Daan Terstegge
SMT Centre
Thales Communications
Unclassified mail
Personal Website: http://www.smtinfo.net

>>> My Nguyen <[log in to unmask]> 01/16 7:17 pm >>>
Good morning Techneters,

I am working on oven profiler consolidation project.
Currently, we have 540 Product Profile for each oven.
For 13 oven machine, we have 7020 profiles.  That is
way too many for a memory manufacture!

We currently use water-soluble solder and no clean
solder.  We know that for each product, the pre-heat
zone, soak-zone, re-flow zone, and temperature could
be a bit different from one Solder Paste Manufacture
to other, or from one Solder Paste type to others, or
even from single side, to double side.

HOWEVER, for memory, the width, length, thickness, and
number of ICs, resisters, capacitors, and others are
limited to a certain number, i.e, PCB height is less
than 1.7 inches; PCB thickness is equal or less than
0.05 inch; PCB length follow the spec. of 5.25ö for
DIMM, DDR, RIMM, 2.66ö for SODIMM, 4.25ö for 72 Pin
SIMM, etc.

I have heard that out there, there is a way to reduce
from 1000s down to 10-100 oven profiles based on
Mass/Density.  And of course, there are many other
scientific ways that I have not heard of.  Please help
me! What would be the best method you recommend or you
have successfully tried to reduce the number of oven
profiles down to a control/reasonable numbers?

Your advice and suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Stacy