TECHNET Archives

January 2002

From:
Eric Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:40:44 -0000
Hi,
Sounds like you have cracked joints on your bga.s.
This can happen if you reflow the bga side then wave solder the bottom side.
Try a board with thermocouples under the bga when it goes over the wave, you
will probably frighten yourself. The formally good bga joints can reach 180
to 200 Celsius which is enough to disturb the joints as the board flexes
with heat, but not enough to reflow them back into a consolidated joint.
If this is the case, go double sided reflow.
If it isn't, check your reflow conditions.
You cannot see these cracks with a standard transmission X ray equipment
because they are very narrow, which is why slight finger pressure will cause
the component to start working again.
It had me going when I first saw it, I thought it was an aerial effect.
Hope this helps
Regards
Eric Dawson