From:
David Bergman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:11:55 -0500 (CDT)

Hopefully, someone on Technet can help.

Regards
Dave Bergman, IPC

Subject: Placement of Semiconductor chips
Author:  [log in to unmask] at Internet
Date:    9/30/96 7:48 AM

Dear Sir,
My name is Steven Cervelli, I am a final year Mechanical Engineering
student at the University of South Australia.  My final year project
involves the automation of a chip placement process where crystal
chips are placed directly onto epoxy coated boards currently
being undertaken manually at Philips Semiconductors based in Adelaide.

The company is looking at the prospects of large scale automation but at
this point would like to automate this process only.  The chips are
presented on wafers and faulty chips are defined by ink dots placed on
the chips during testing. Philips requires the process to be quite
flexible as they handle numerous combinations of different boards and
chips and some boards require up to five different chips to be placed.
I am writing to you to request any information you may be able to give me
in assisting in the design of such a system.  I am trying to develop a
system that will integrate with the current process that already has a
semi-automated bonding process.  I am particularly interested in
currently available high precision placement devices with ink dot
recognition capabilities, but any information you can give me on this
topic will be much apreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Steven Cervelli