From:
Jim Moffit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 10:44:01 -0500
Mark:  As far as I know the most definitive study done on this was about 10
years ago by Roger Wild of the IBM house (Federal Systems Divison I think).
He found (if memory serves me correctly and that is always a little "iffy"),
by monitoring for failures during extended thermal cycling, that an unfilled
pth was the most reliable, a pth hole with 100% solder fill was next most
reliable, and a pth with 50% solder fill was next most reliable.  An epoxy
filled hole was in the data somewhere, but I don't remember where.  Seems
like the reliability difference between the 50% and 100% hole fill was
concluded to be attributable to the 100% fill cresting over the (topside)
knee of the pth and thereby providing some Z-axis reinforcement.  My guess
would be that 75% hole fill would fall into the reduced reliabilty arena
associated with 50% hole fill.  The practice of filling the hole is dubious
from the standpoint of achieving a reliabiltiy improvement.  What is the
end-item thermal environment of the pwa.  I no longer have a copy of the
report, you might call the IBM Tech. Library and see if it is available
through them.    Regards, Jim Moffitt/EMPF