TECHNET Archives

March 2019

From:
"Stadem, Richard D" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard D
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2019 16:14:22 +0000
Anything you want to know about stripping, tinning, crimping, etc, outside of IPC 620 is in NASA-STD-8739.4A – 2016-06-30

Here is an excerpt from page 43 of 101, but also on many other pages. Just search under the word "flux" within the 8739 standard.

a. The portion of stranded wires that will eventually become a part of the finished solder connection shall be coated with tin-lead solder and cleaned prior to attachment. Additional flux may be used.

b. The flux shall be applied so that it does not flow under the insulation except for traces carried by solder wicking.

c. Flux shall be removed with cleaning solvent applied so that its flow under the conductor insulation is minimal.

d. Wire strands shall be discernible after tinning.

e. Solder wicking shall not extend to a portion of the wire which is required to remain flexible.

f. Solder build-up or icicles within the tinned wire area shall not affect subsequent assembly steps.

g. The length of untinned strands measured from the end of the tinned portion to the beginning of the wire insulation shall not be greater than 1 wire diameter.

10.1.3 Insulation Irregularity. Mechanical or thermal stripped insulation irregularity is acceptable if it does not exceed 1/4 of the outside diameter of the wire, including the insulation.

10.1.4 Insulation Clearance. The following requirements apply:

a. Soldered Connections.

(1) The insulation shall not be imbedded in the solder joint.

(2) The contour of the conductor shall not be obscured at the termination end of the insulation.

(3) The insulation clearance shall be less than two wire diameters, including insulation, but in no case shall permit shorting between adjacent non-electrically common conductors.

(4) Insulation clearance shall be referenced from the first point of contact of the conductor to the terminal.

b. Crimped Connections.

(1) The minimum insulation clearance for all crimped connections shall be 0.25mm (0.01in.).

(2) The maximum insulation clearance for conductors 20AWG and smaller shall be 0.75mm (0.03in.).

NASA-STD-8739.4A – 2016-06-30

(3) The maximum insulation clearance for conductors 18AWG and larger shall be 1.25mm (0.05in.).