From:
"Yuen, Mike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 07 May 96 11:00:00 CDT

Hi Gita,

Q:   What is the preferred surface finish for PWB's with PBGA packages?
A:   The critical process factors for BGA assembly are:
     * Surface Coplanarity
     * Solder Volume
     * Solderability
     * Moisture Sensitive (PBGA)
It 's okay to use Entek 106A, but you should consider the solderability of
second reflow or BGA  repair if there is any. Gold is very solderable, and
just as important, very coplanar.  It is increasingly becoming a popular
choice for SMD fine pitch board assemblies.  With gold, there is no
embrittlement concern as long as the thickness of  gold is 0.000003-5". You
can consider gold as an alternative to HASL.

Q:   Using Entek boards, what kind of flux is better to use, NO CLEAN or
 water soluble?
A:   No clean Flux is definitely a  better choice. According some technical
studies I read, water soluble is more likely to form solder balls if the
temperature profile and solder mask design are not optimum. In your case,
finding solder balls beneath the BGA is the last thing you want to see. With
no clean flux, the reduction in solid content will tightens the process
window and nitrogen atmosphere reflow  has proven helpful in improving
process yield when no clean flux is being used.

Thanks