From:
[log in to unmask] (Jerry Cupples)
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 10:58:21 -0500
John Guy said:

>Jerry ,
>        I agree with everything you said here, but feel the need to add
>one major point.

By all means...

>        When using a Vapor Phase system, the need to profile for a new
>assembly is almost nonexistent.  As you said, the heating is very
>efficient and even across the assembly.

Whether you "need to profile" can't be established on the basis of which
process you choose. One must consider the properties and type of components
of the assembly. I suggest the issue is more "can you profile if you need
to?"

Although the heating of the work may be "efficient" and the delta T good
when using VP; what about rate of heating?

VP may give you a rate hazardous to certain components, and it is difficult
or impossible to modulate. Even with an in-line VP machine, when the work
enters the vapor zone, it will change temperature very, very rapidly - no
matter how quickly it entered the zone. It can't be removed from the zone
until it reaches equilibrium, or it will drag out fluid.

>        When using a Convective system, you get the added control and
>ability to profile, but only at a price.  The need to profile for
>different assemblies is required.  The Convective systems are very robust,
>but I wouldn't say that one profile will serve all your needs.

Neither would I, but you can have more than one profile if you need it, and
you couldn't with the VP machines I used a few years back. Superior
equipment is probably out there today.