TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Jim Herard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 16:59:56 -0400
I sympathize with Dave's position.  We have the same situation.

However, plugging the holes with solder can be a hit or miss problem -- and
here's why;

if you fill the vias with solder at assembly solder paste apply, it has to be a
higher temperature than the assembly solder to prevent it from reflowing during
the card assembly reflow cycles.  Our experience has been that solder in the
vias (typically 0.012" and under in diameter) will reflow during the assembly
process if it is a double sided IR reflow.  The solder used to fill the vias
reflows during the first IR reflow operation, and can  forms raised beads or
drips from the vias (draining out of the vias to the opposite side of the
board) .  When the board is then placed on the screening table to add the
solder paste for the opposite side, the raised solder protrusions raise the
solder paste stencils, and result in solder shorts from too much solder vol
ume.  The problem can even occur on Hasl boards.  And even if all the solder
paste is applied at one time, with certain designs like BGA's the excess solder
can cause shorts under components.  The problem is worse on holes which have
any coating in/on them which reduces the solders ability to wet to the Cu on
the hole wall.

Whether an assembly house will have this problem or not, depends upon the
assembly process routing for a particular card assembly -- and thus brings us
right back to Dave's point of everybody wanting something different.  It is hit
or miss.

I can state this clearly to all IPC members;  our experience indicates that
tenting or plugging of small diameter vias, if not done in a manner that
protects the Cu from attack from process fluids,  will cause solderability,
cosmetic and pth reliability problems.  Further, soldermask was never intended
to be a vacuum seal, and thus, we should, as a group, drive the test equipment
companies to work with us to establish alternative ways to hold board/card
assemblies in test fixtures.

Jim Herard
KBL, Product Quality Engineering
IBM Microelectronics Endicott