TECHNET Archives

March 2012

From:
Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Louis Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 16:22:32 +0000
Syed, Victor - There is a big table at the back of 6012 defining what inspections to perform and their frequency, for dimensions, cleanliness, plating integrity, electrical test, etc. In my opinion, a customer who does not require adherence to 6012 (or an alternative) is not a customer the fabricator wants.

In connection with what Inge said, I forgot to mention earlier that the metal surfaces looked rough, compared with those I have seen. The marks appeared to be made with something finer than US grit 600. (European grits are numbered differently.) Our last step is polish with 0.05 micron alumina.

One US military specifications for circuit boards calls for evaluation of plating separation before microetch; the other calls for evaluation before and after microetch. I'm not sure how to interpret the latter requirement. Separation has appeared, at times, before microetch. The etching will invariably reveal an electroless line.

The apparently multiple etch lines in the first picture puzzle me. Maybe they are the result of an advanced process I am not aware of. Likewise, the dielectric 'lenses'.  Were the microvias supposed to be plugged with a non-conductive material, and only that slight amount of it could enter the microvia because more copper than planned was plated?

 Louis Hart