TECHNET Archives

October 2001

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:46:39 -0500
Bev,

Howdy partner from the moonman in BF Montana again. Know little about tin
cans but for those housing Bud. Hell, that's aluminum and I know how those
cans are formed after having served time at Coors as an automated brewing
process engineer - whoops!

I know this doesn't answer it and I know you know this but I have too much
time on my hands. Soldering iron tims are made/formed/extruded from copper
as wire. They are properly shaped and plated with a "neutral" metal as iron
- to the soldering process when prevented from oxidizing by being properly
tinned. Properly "tinned" tips, the iron part (1 mil thick iron plating
over copper), ensure acceptable solderable surfaces provide they are cleaned
and re-tinned as often as needed.

Jeez, why am I going on with this as you are only asking about tin cans.
Could they be soldered using the same concept. When you get a "real" answer,
let me know and thanks again for all that Nortel info. It, and the contacts
you provided, really did the trick. Wish Nortel was in better health.

Respectfully,

Earl Moon